Kanban System Design (KMP1)
This highly interactive 2 day course has been created by leading Kanban experts including David J. Anderson. The Kanban Method offers evidence based, pragmatic, actionable, guidance that can be taken away and implemented the next working day. We show you how to introduce Kanban practices in an evolutionary manner in order to reduce resistance to change. Design a Kanban system ( or improve an existing system ) for optimal flow and faster delivery whilst improving quality. Learn the fundamentals of the Kanban Method.
Are you facing these challenges?
Many teams we talk to are overwhelmed with too much work in progress, conflicting priorities, often facing unknown blockers and drag factors that impede the teams productivity. For most teams this leads to missed deadlines and late delivery of projects which impacts negatively on team morale and future productivity.
The Kanban System Design Course – is a two day course that will enable you to:
- Coach your team(s) in their adoption of Kanban
- Confidently support your team in operating a Kanban system
- Identify and remove blockers to flow
- Help your team to mine appropriate metrics to drive real team improvements
- Support teams in the continual pursuit of real improvement
Upcoming Public Training Courses
Get a massive discount when buying KMP1 & KMP2 as a bundle
Certified Kanban System Design (KMP1)
2 days from 9:00 am 5:00 pm UK time
- Understand core concepts of the Kanban Method.
- Learn the 3 Change Management Principles and the 6 General Practices of The Kanban Method.
- Experience the benefit of WIP limits to improve flow.
- How to run the Kanban meetings to focus on the work and allow the team to organize around it
- How to proceed to the next level with Kanban.
The Why and What of Kanban
- Kanban core practices
- Evolutionary vs Revolutionary Change
- Principles of the Kanban Method
- Core Practices of the Kanban Method
- Work Visualisation
- Push vs pull based systems
- Queues & Buffers
- Limiting Work In Progress (WIP)
- Little’s Law
- Managing Flow
- Cumulative Flow Diagrams
- Measuring and managing flow using Lead Time
- Understanding flow efficiency
- Planning in Kanban
- Risk management with classes of service
- Getting to grips with Kanban systems using getKanban simulation
Introducing Kanban to your team or organisation
- Understanding the motivation for change
- STATIK – systems thinking approach to implementing Kanban
- Understanding sources of variability
- Analysing and shaping demand
- Visualising your workflow using a Kanban board
- Visual design of ticket types
- How to set WIP limits
- Identifying and removing impediments to flow
- Kaizen – continuous and collaborative improvement
- Feedback Mechanisms
- Kanban style Daily Standups
This course is useful for anyone who wants to be successful using Kanban within their organisation. For managers and team members who want to start a Kanban initiative or get more out of their current Kanban system. It will be helpful both to those new to Kanban and those who have explored Kanban but now want to consolidate their knowledge in a practical setting. Previous attendees have been in roles such as:
- Product Managers, Senior Managers, Team Leads, Heads of…
- Project and Programme Managers,
- Architects, Designers, Business Analysts, Developers, Testers,
- Scrum Product Owners and Scrum Masters,
- Agile Coaches, Consultants and Change Agents
- Team members who follow Scrum, DSDM, Prince2 Agile, XP
- All roles in IT Operations, especially if you follow ITIL
- Other roles such as HR, Finance, Facilities Management, Legal, Marketing and Operations
Who we've helped
What about certification?
This course has been accredited by David J Anderson (creator of the Kanban method) and Kanban University. Upon completion of the course attendees will become accredited members of the Kanban University. You will receive a certificate of completion and a listing in the Kanban University member directory. KMP1 is part 1 of the Kanban Management Professional (KMP) certification. To obtain the Certified Kanban Management Professional certification, you must complete part 2 following completion of part 1.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
We offer a 80% refund if you cancel your place no less than 15 working days before the date of the first day of the course.
For cancellations less than 15 working days from the date of the first day of the course we do not offer a refund. However, you will be offered the option of substitution, so you can transfer your place to a colleague. Substitutions will be accepted up to the start of the course.
Solutioneers reserve the right to postpone or cancel this event if there are insufficient registrations or if presenters are unable to attend. In these circumstances, you will be notified no later than 7 days prior to the event with a full refund.
Please be advised that courses are subject to changes in date and/or venue. It is recommended that you purchase changeable and refundable transportation and accommodations. Solutioneers will not be responsible for any incurred costs in the event that we need to make changes due to circumstances beyond our control.
Meet your trainers
Brickell Key Award winner Ian Carroll is a consultant, coach, and speaker on all topics related to Lean, Kanban and Agile software development. Using his 25 years of hands-on experience he helps teams transform their ways of working using Kanban and other Lean and Agile techniques to lower costs while increasing their ability to respond to changing market demands and outperform competitors. Ian has trained and coached hundreds of software development teams in Agile, Lean, and Kanban techniques.
Matt is a highly experienced practitioner, manager and coach with expansive knowledge of Lean Agile, Kanban, ITIL/ITSM, Service Operations and Business Transformation with over 20 years experience. Matt has facilitated transformations that have resulted in huge cost savings, improved service outcomes, increased quality and reduced variability with sharp increases in satisfaction for staff and stakeholders alike. Matt has taken this experience and shared it to become an active contributor to the Agile ITSM/DevOps movement, occasional blogger, conference speaker and contributing author to VeriSM | Service Management for the Digital Age